Thursday, December 03, 2009

WHINGERS - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

I think that there are too many people in this world who spend their energy complaining, instead of actually doing anything about what bothers them. I don't think I'm the only one.

I'm trying to be charitable about people, but honestly, that's getting more difficult by the day. I want to be compassionate, and giving, and understanding, but... how much am I supposed to put up with? Seriously?

I bust my arse every single day trying to make the world a better place - I know that sounds like hyperbole, but honestly, I do. And yet, certain publications (again, you KNOW who you are) can print things in whatever fucked up order or in whatever context they deem appropriate, and I'm supposed to think that's okay? Just let it slide? They can apologise in private, but publish no retraction, no mea culpa, NOTHING; but we're supposed to just cop that on the chin? So the smoke they've created (hinting at a hidden, unconfirmed fires) continues to permeate the community like some stinking, homophobic corpse?

It seems that every day, I'm hearing unfounded and ill-informed gossip from not only the media, but people who should KNOW better, about the way I and my colleagues do our job. I am the very first person to say, "Put it on paper, make a complaint!" if someone does the wrong thing, but it seems that all those people who like to gossip and fan the flames, thinking that constitutes a genuine grievance... well, they don't appear to have the balls to actually stand up for what they loudly and publicly (behind the screen of the media) allege they believe.

For the last month, all I've had to deal with is the media alleging that people complained about "heavy handed" policing at Sleaze Ball. I was there, working, as I've been for the last eight years. I was almost unable to do anything else but spend time with members of MY community as they told me how happy they were that I, and my (also screaming lesbian) colleague were there, looking after them.

We talked to people; loved the music; talked to my wonderful DJ friends; watched the crowd in case we saw someone in trouble; pointed people out to the absolutely amazing ACON rovers when we DID see them in trouble so they wouldn't feel overwhelmed by uniforms; gave out bottles of water; helped people to medical when needed, and were just generally THERE... Twelve hours of it! It was fantastic!

Or so I thought.

Apparently not.

According to the media (don't recall speaking to them, but still...), it was like Nazi Germany! Imagine my shock! I must have been BLIND to have missed this truly outrageous infringement of the civil rights of the GLBTI community! Cavity searches? Public strip searches? Where was I during all this?!

Oh. That's right.

I was RIGHT THERE. And it NEVER HAPPENED. Oh sure, I wasn't Jenny on the spot for every interaction, but I know those kids, and I know what they're like. No-one is perfect, but I'd stake my reputation that they were professional and courteous.

But that's okay; if you write articles for an inflammatory rag reporting about a party that's been struggling for relevance for years, well, that's just not good enough, is it?

That's okay. We'll still be there at three AM when someone breaks into your house. Or when your partner assaults you. Or when someone has to tell you a loved one has passed away.

Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be a part of MY community, which saddens me beyond belief.

If only people could spend a tenth of the energy on building positive relationships as they do on tearing people down, I shudder to think what this world could achieve.

Oh, and P.S. I expressly FORBID any use of the opinions I've offered in this blog for any purpose.

They are my opinions, and if anyone who reads them thinks they can use them for any purpose other than what I intended (which is simply to vent my considerably overloaded spleen, in case it wasn't clear), then they are sadly mistaken. Do not even try me.


1 comment:

WitchOne said...

darling, we need more updates!